Skip to main content

Lack of Transparency by the Oklahoma Supreme Court Continues to Amaze


Squirrels hide acorns for the winter by burying them in the dirt. It is somewhat amusing to watch squirrels in Florida engage in this little ritual, since they live in a place where there is no winter coming. It’s just what squirrels do. They are programmed to hide their nuts.

The Oklahoma Supreme Court seems to have a similar modus operandi: the Court’s default is to hide its actions from public view, even when there is no reason to. Allow me to explain.

The Court recently heard a legal challenge to an initiative petition that seeks to change how Oklahoma draws its legislative and congressional districts (spoiler alert for a future post: the redistricting initiative is a terrible idea). The Court scheduled the case for oral argument on January 21 of this year in the ceremonial courtroom in the State Capitol building. 

This may sound routine, but for the Oklahoma Supreme Court, it is notable. Unlike most appellate courts in the country, the Oklahoma Supreme Court very rarely grants oral argument, instead choosing (for no apparent reason) to deprive itself of the benefit of rigorous adversarial debate on the issues it decides, and the litigants of the opportunity to persuade.

Appellate oral argument, like most court proceedings in the United States, is almost always open to the public. I attended this particular oral argument, and the courtroom was full of reporters, supporters and opponents of the redistricting initiative, lawyers, and other curious members of the public. In the courtroom was a large TV screen facing the audience that provided real-time closed-captioning of the proceedings. A court reporter was transcribing the argument session to produce the closed-captioning.

Notably, the Supreme Court elected to live-stream the oral argument on its website, the Oklahoma Supreme Court Network (OSCN). Though this online broadcast was not well-advertised, I took it as a positive development, nonetheless. The Court has livestreamed previous sessions, but does not do so regularly. It is unclear what criteria the Court uses to determine whether it will broadcast its sessions, but given what we know about Oklahoma’s Court, it would be shocking if they had any criteria at all.

So we should celebrate, right? Not so fast.

The next day, I sat down to pen a quick post explaining the issues argued the day before. I wanted to highlight a particular exchange between the justices and one of the attorneys, but I needed to make sure I had the arguments exactly right and wasn’t misquoting anyone or remembering incorrectly. I checked OSCN, but the video was nowhere to be found.

Since the video had already been made public, I assumed this was a technical issue or the video was pulled down so as not to clutter up the OSCN website. So I called the IT Department at the Administrative Office of the Courts (AOC) to request a copy. I was told someone would get back to me.

The next day, I received an email from an AOC employee notifying me that “the Court has issued an order stating that the court reporter was present for the sole purpose of providing real-time closed captioning, and no official transcript or recording of the oral arguments will be available.”

I was surprised to learn the Court had issued an order of this nature, not only because I had checked the case page on OSCN right before calling to request the video and saw no such order, but also because this would be a highly unusual thing for the Court to do unprompted. I’ve never seen such an order issued out of the blue from a Court. I pulled up the case, and sure enough, there was the order.

Now, I cannot say for certain that my request to the IT Department made its way up through the ranks of AOC and prompted the Chief Justice of the Oklahoma Supreme Court to issue an order denying access. But the timing does seem awfully, shall we say, serendipitous.

If there is a reason for the Court to refuse to provide a recording (1) it clearly already has on file, (2) of a public session, (3) that the requestor personally attended and therefore has already seen the content, and (4) was broadcast online for all the world to see, I would love to hear it.

I find this incredible. It displays an attitude towards the public worse than dismissive—it’s insulting. 

More importantly, it is revealing. If it looks like a squirrel, and buries nuts like a squirrel, it’s probably a squirrel. In this case, apparently a squirrel of the Florida variety.

We have a Court that:
In so doing, the Court countenances the violation of attorneys’ First Amendment rights, who are forced to fund the Bar Association’s political activities even when they disagree with the Bar’s party line. It just so happens that the primary political activity pursued by the Bar is to entrench its own (and the Supreme Court’s) power by protecting the faulty selection process that put the justices on the Court in the first place. When they are sued for this unconstitutional activity, they claim they are completely immune from lawsuits by virtue of their position of prestige.

These are not the hallmarks of the American court system. They are the characteristics of a Star Chamber.

Powerful, secretive, unaccountable entities do not reform themselves. 

Legislature, your move.

Benjamin Lepak is Legal Fellow at the 1889 Institute. He can be reached at blepak@1889institute.org.

The opinions expressed in this blog are those of the author, and do not necessarily reflect the official position of 1889 Institute.

Popular posts from this blog

When It Comes to the Cox Center, “What if I Get to Meet a Movie Star?” Isn’t Good Enough

In a recent   post , 1889 Institute expounded on the fiduciary duty of elected officials “to act in the best interest of the people of the state as a whole,” a “high duty, executed as a public trust … wherein one puts the people’s interest above one’s own.” This fiduciary duty must not stop with elected officials. Once an elected body or an elected official – the legislature, a city council, the governor, or a mayor – has taken final action, the faithful implementation of each enacted law, policy, or program falls to an army of bureaucrats. Thus, a fiduciary duty to execute laws and policies with diligence and integrity, tantamount to that of elected officials, must extend to government employees. Recently, I had a few moments to sit down and watch a show with my children. Unsurprisingly, my son picked a series entitled “The Stinky and Dirty Show.” I was naturally skeptical that the show would yield any real value. However, as I watched, I found myself pleasantly surprised. Each ep...

Be Careful What You Wish For

The state of Oklahoma has California in its sight s . People and businesses seeking greater opportunity are fleeing California, and justifiably so. The most humane thing for Oklahoma to do is open our borders and offer economic asylum to the oppressed refugees of the People’s Republic of California. However, I urge caution. In an age dominated by masked faces and super-sensitivity to the spread of viral conditions, I suggest the California Condition (condition) should be met with great trepidation.   What is the condition? It is the virulent spread of tyranny and oppression. Common symptoms include limited freedom and mobility accompanied by exorbitant costs of living, energy, doing business, and pretty much everything else. Those suffering under the condition often experience a diminished capacity for reason. Uncommon symptoms may include fever and fits of rage. The condition is progressive. It tends to worsen as reason diminishes and illogic consumes the mind. Many that experienc...

Public Unions and Obscure Election Dates Create a Perfect Storm

Wouldn’t it be great to pick your boss? I don’t mean choose between two competing job offers based on which boss you prefer. I mean that you and your coworkers get together and pick a boss based on who is going to be the easiest to work for: someone who won’t interfere with your work, won’t call you out when you’re acting against the interest of your customers, someone who will sing your praises to the public, and let you work for another organization on company time. Public sector unions everywhere wield undue power over the elected officials charged with overseeing them. In many states unions dominate every aspect of politics. Right to work laws, and the state culture that created them, are meant to shield Oklahoma from this fate. But when public employees are able to band together and withhold essential services, especially those services they have fully monopolized by virtue of the fact that only government provides them, elected officials have little choice but to cave. This is th...

1889 Institute's Statement Regarding School Closures

The 1889 Institute, an Oklahoma think tank, has released the following statement regarding Joy Hofmeister’s proposal to keep schools closed for the remainder of the school year. We at the 1889 Institute consider Joy Hofmeister’s proposal to close Oklahoma’s schools for the rest of the school year a gross overreaction to the coronavirus situation. Even in the best of times and circumstances, suddenly shifting every student in the state from traditional classrooms to online distance learning will have negative educational consequences. This in addition to the economic burden on two-earner families forced to completely reorder their lives with schools closed. We believe many of our leaders have overreacted to worst-case scenarios presented by well-intended health experts with no training or sense of proportion in weighing the collateral damage of shutting down our economy versus targeting resources to protect the truly vulnerable. We say reopen the schools and stop the madness. ...